First fix not successful..

MrTurner

First fix not successful..

Postby MrTurner » 19 Mar 2017, 16:37

Hi all,

I've recently bought replacement parts, both ceramic plates (Inc Thermistor) and the fuse. Took them apart as they stopped completely and found the thermistor unattached and a chip in the other plate. I had a workmate solder the new thermistor in place, screwed all back together and turned them on. No problem until I flicked the switch on the irons. A spark jumped and they're dead.. I think I blew the new fuse and my guess is that something is connected the wrong way round. Are the components sided? Do I need to connect a certain way round? If not what am I best to do next?

Thanks in advance,
Leigh

gary
Site Admin

Re: First fix not successful..

Postby gary » 19 Mar 2017, 22:46

Hi Leigh,

They should definately not spark! Can you share a photo of how you wired them up? It may be that there is a wiring issue.

Gary

MrTurner

Postby MrTurner » 20 Mar 2017, 13:54

Thanks for helping Gary - hopefully the links should show you enough. It only sparked and popped once, they're not sparking or anything now which is why I suspect I did something wrong and the fuse popped. I took a photo of the connections between the two circuit boards before taking it apart (to bring to work for soldering) but couldn't see that the connections on the other end were sided at all. Oh and the spark made me jump and was on the same side as the switch which is why I'm also thinking it's the fuse..

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 20 Mar 2017, 23:56

Based on the photo here:
http://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/models/ghd_4.0b.html

It looks like you've got black and brown round the wrong way into the non switched PCB. A spark would suggest the board has been fried, but please do prove me wrong!

Regards,
Gary

MrTurner

Postby MrTurner » 21 Mar 2017, 09:42

I'm not sure what's worse..

1) Taking a before picture, getting it wrong when re-connecting then posting for help on the internet OR
2) Not being able to read that there are labels to match each wire on each circuit board, getting it wrong then posting on the internet for help
3) Not finding the already available picture on the internet, getting it wrong then posting on the internet for help...!

Switched the wires over and sure enough they're dead. The spark was on the switch side, does that mean it's that circuit board that's fried?

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 21 Mar 2017, 10:00

I presume mains voltage has gone somewhere it should not as I think you mixed the LED with the mains input.

From a quick look at the PCB I'd say the most delicate components that could have been broken would be the PIC processor or the LED. Everything else is a resistor, diode or capacitor which should be fairly robust.

So you could replace bits and see if you can find the dead one. Or you could debug the PCB trying to work out what is wrong (we've never needed to get into this detail as the only components that normally fail are the processor and the R8 resistor). Or you could just fit a new PCB - http://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/shop/mk4/4. ... B?filter=2

Gary

Return to “GHD 4.0B”