Is this site still up & running please?

realstokebloke

Is this site still up & running please?

Postby realstokebloke » 08 Feb 2016, 19:10

I have an old set of GHDs (probably 3s but not sure or even sure how to check) & an issue re replacing the plug.

So ... Anyone home please?

Thanks.

gary
Site Admin

Re: Is this site still up & running please?

Postby gary » 08 Feb 2016, 21:10

Hi,

Yes - all still active.

To work out what model your irons are, have a look at this page:
https://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/models

Gary

realstokebloke

Postby realstokebloke » 09 Feb 2016, 14:03

Hi Gary, thanks - thanks for the reply.

Thanks also for the page identifying the models. Looking at that, I am 95% sure we have the 3 model.

Nowhere does it say "3" or "3.1" or "4" or whatever, either on the box or the irons themselves but it does have the two screws either end of the 'power bulge' and the model number on a silver sticker opposite (it is: LY030110, not that, that means anything to me btw).

Anyway, the educated guess is that it is a "3".

So, that said, my issue is that they are intermittently cutting out and need the infamous wiggle to get them going again (the light coming on again).

It might not be this of course, but most obviously the lead; at the plug end, just as it 'crimps' into the two pin piece that itself plugs into a British three pin, on the outside cable is splitting and exposing the internal wires.

Like many, I assume(d) that you could just strip that back and wire these two 'internal' wires into a standard British three pin plug. So good so far.

These are obviously live and neutral and omits the earth.

Is that possible to do please? And if so, which of the two wires is which?

In the cable, they are not blue & brown (handy if they were) but black and white. The white is noticeably thicker than the black. So which is the neutral and which the live please?

(I have read somewhere someone saying that it doesn't matter which you wire to which? I'm no electrician but that doesn't sound right ...) :?

Either that, or get a new cable I guess, but I wanted to try the obvious issue first & not sure how competent I would be on dismantling the pivot end to get at the swivel cable connection.

Any advice / help please would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

realstokebloke

Postby realstokebloke » 09 Feb 2016, 14:28

... And, just in case, is there a guide / tutorial on how to dismantle the straighteners at the pivot end to get at the cable connection please?

Thanks.

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 09 Feb 2016, 18:56

The basic principle for getting the irons apart is shown here:
https://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/guides/arm ... ement.html

Although for a different model, that guide is basically correct.

If the light flashes as you wobble the cable then the cable is worn and needs replacing/shortening. If it is the iron end, then you'll need a new cable:
http://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/shop/ghd_cable
https://www.ghd-repair.co.uk/guides/cab ... _3.1b.html

If it is the plug end, then shortening will work. Polarity of this appliance does not matter (as it is doubly insulated with no earth).

Gary

realstokebloke

Postby realstokebloke » 09 Feb 2016, 20:27

Hi Gary,

That's brilliant, thanks.

I will try the plug replacement first off.

So, to double check I have understood you correctly, it doesn't matter which internal wire (black or white) from the cable you wire in to which pole / connection in the plug?

That's how it reads In your post and actually backs up what I read elsewhere - but didn't quite understand how that could work - but I guess the device just 'takes' whichever (neutral / live) feed through whichever wire and uses it accordingly.

Obviously, I'm just wary of hung-Ho electrics, especially as it's not me that will be using them !

Thanks.

Edit:

Oops, that would be 'gung-ho' electrics :)
Last edited by realstokebloke on 09 Feb 2016, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 09 Feb 2016, 22:36

Yep - does not matter. On most GHDs they have a European plug which can go into the UK adapter (or the european socket) either way round.

Gary

realstokebloke

Postby realstokebloke » 10 Feb 2016, 10:26

Hi Gary and thanks for the clarification. I'll give that a whirl.

:D

realstokebloke

Postby realstokebloke » 11 Feb 2016, 15:23

& For anyone else's info: the job, so far, seems to be a good 'un and is working fine.

Return to “GHD 3”