CLOUD 9 Hair Straighteners

repairsonline

CLOUD 9 Hair Straighteners

Postby repairsonline » 17 Jan 2012, 07:51

Has anyone attempted repairs on CLOUD 9 Hair Straighteners, availability of spare parts, and ..... which company owns the logo ?

gary
Site Admin

Re: CLOUD 9 Hair Straighteners

Postby gary » 17 Jan 2012, 08:14

I believe they are similar to GHDs and can be repaired with GHD parts. Not tried fixing any myself though!

Gary

repairsonline

Postby repairsonline » 18 Jan 2012, 10:49

Generally speaking, they look alike, however, major departure on the electonics, especillay, the CPU board. Another feature, is the X component at the back of each heater element, they both look the same and are connected in series with the heaters. I take it to be a thermal fuse, partially, because, I remenber seeing this arrangement on a non-genuine GHD, the fuse was connected in series with one of the heaters.

For each plate, there are only 2 connecting wires to any PCB board, Switch or CPU board, unlike in a GHD, which has four wires, making me think, they have two thermal fuses, one for each heater element.

ASIDE: I would like also to post some photos on the forum, how do I do that.
Last edited by repairsonline on 18 Jan 2012, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 18 Jan 2012, 11:08

Hi,

Let's see some photos :-)

You can upload them to websites like http://www.imagebam.com/. Imagebam will then give you some code to past into the forum which will make a gallery appear in your posting.

If you have problems, just email the photos to me - gary@ghd-repair.co.uk

Gary

Ross

Postby Ross » 22 Apr 2012, 12:52

Confirming that they do have 2x fuses in series with the elements, not sure if the elements are the same resistance or not but dimensions are the same. Fixed a couple months ago and just did what was necessary and got them gone.

henrythe8

CLOUD 9 constant bleeping fault

Postby henrythe8 » 05 Oct 2013, 19:30

I'm having a look at a pair of cloud 9's with the common 'constant bleeping after turn on' fault.
I can't seem to find anything obvious that is causing this.

1, The plates typically get to 175 degrees on the heat scale before the bleep starts and auto shutdown light flashes and cuts the supply so that the heaters cool.

2, On the odd occasion the straighteners will work fine.

3, I've checked resistors and plates and nothing appears 'suspicious' or open circuit.

Please could anyone give me some info/guidance/ideas as to what causes this fault ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
h8

trev260764

Postby trev260764 » 07 Oct 2013, 17:53

Yeah, C9's have their heaters and thermal-fuses (they do have two) wired in series. Heaters rarely fail, but the thermal-fuses are problematic. When one fails, they go into auto-shut-off mode, only after the functioning one heats-up. I have also known their thermal-fuses to become intermittent under temperature.

I have replaced about 50 now, very fiddly to start with but sourcing a suitable fuse and having developed the knack I can do em quite quickly now! This is case for standard-plate and wide-plate models. The micro straightener is different.

If you want them fixing I offer a service on eBay for a fixed price! Search for "Cloud Nine 9 hair straightener repair service [broken / faulty]", username is trev260764 - I do GHD's as well of course...

Trev

henrythe8

Postby henrythe8 » 07 Oct 2013, 20:50

Many thanks for the informative and very helpful reply Trev,

I had to smile when I got your reply because this tale has a coincidental conclusion;

I'm just an amateur 'hobbyist' and only repair the odd set of GHD's as a favour for friends.
This set of Cloud 9's is the first set I've seen after promising to have a look at them for a friend at work whose neice was hoping to get them working before she went on holiday this coming weekend.
I quickly realised that even if I could identify the faulty/broken part, I had no access to a parts supply and no time to find any alternative parts.
I then had a look for a repair source, stumbled on your ebay ad and (this afternoon) recommended your service to my friend.
I'm hearing that she (the neice) emailed you this aft, so it looks like the job is now in your capable hands !

Thanks again and best wishes with the C9 venture.
P.s If all goes to plan (I'm sure it will), I'll not hesitate to recommend you to any further friends with C9 problems.
Best wishes,
H.

trev260764

Postby trev260764 » 08 Oct 2013, 15:49

Small world... Don't suppose it's Natalie?

I do do a load though as I think there's only me fixing them. As mentioned, there is a 'knack' to doing them - I think when Ion Originals fix them they just replace the whole plate/holder/heater/fuse assembly (they are that involved!). But I guess that is reflected in the cost they charge.

My listing is herehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231069963430

henrythe8

Postby henrythe8 » 09 Oct 2013, 00:10

It is indeed a small world and it is indeed Natalie Trev ! :)
I'm told by her uncle that the C9's are in the post & that she'd be 'over the moon' if you got 'em working for her holiday.

By the way, they're the wide plate model, which I guess you're already aware of and you'll probably already have them before you've read this post.

Best wishes,
H

Return to “All Models”