SS 5.O problems after thermal fuse replaced

Questions about the GHD Mk5 Gold models
callumluescher

SS 5.O problems after thermal fuse replaced

Postby callumluescher » 14 Oct 2017, 09:58

Got a tricky one for ya.

So the wife's ss 5.0's blew the thermal fuse which I replaced with a new one purchased from your online shop. Problem sorted they worked fine for the next few days. Now they are posing a different problem. They turned on ok but they were completely cold and after about 10 seconds the give off a long beep which repeats over and over every 6 seconds. I took them to bits again, tested the 2 resistors in your video guide, they were fine. Put them back together and they worked fine! I just presumed there was a hair on the circuit board or something. But the very next day they have gone back to no heat with the beep every six seconds.

Any ideas?

gary
Site Admin

Re: SS 5.O problems after thermal fuse replaced

Postby gary » 14 Oct 2017, 18:14

Have you checked the other parts?

Thermal fuse - less than 1 ohm
50ohm resistors
Thermistor - 100k when disconnected at 25degC
Is the thermistor securely attached?
Does the power cable connect ok? Do you get any funny behaviour if you wobble the power cable in its socket?
Heaters 35ohms or 35 or 70 when bother connected?

Gary

Canales

Postby Canales » 07 Dec 2018, 15:14

Hi Gary, a similar if not the same issue here. At least I thought so. When I tried wobbling the power cable, it wobbled so much in the socket. Like, A LOT. Is this normal? Could this be the cause of the issues?

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 09 Dec 2018, 20:07

Hi Canales,

A reasonable amount of wobble is normal, however the cable socket should deal with that an maintain a good connection. The socket is definitely not a precision piece of engineering!

Gary

Return to “GHD Mk5”