MS not heating up

andyw

MS not heating up

Postby andyw » 12 Feb 2011, 20:16

Hey,

My GF's GHD Minis (2006) have recently stopped working. The LED is very faint when you turn them on and they don't heat up. They'd been acting up for a while and the LED would sometimes come on properly and they would heat up if you have the straighteners a tap. Now that doesn''t work either.

I've had a look insine and metered some of the components. The thermal fuse seems fine, it's at 0.9 ohms. I know the heaters should be 175 ohms on the minis. One is 169 and the other 166. Would this me enough of a discrepancy to cause the problem? The cable seems fine, although I'm not sure how to test it.

Do you think it's the heaters that need replacing, or maybe something else? Do you know how to test the cable?

Thanks in advance!!!

gary
Site Admin

Re: MS not heating up

Postby gary » 15 Feb 2011, 22:40

Hi,

The heaters are in parallel, so you should measure 170 / 2. The fact that the LED is dim and you measure 160ish ohms on the heaters suggests one of them is broken. Try disconnecting the heaters and measuring them again.

Gary

andyw

Postby andyw » 25 Feb 2011, 21:30

Hey Gary,

The readings in my previous post were taken with the heaters disconnected. They're back to heating up again if you give them a tap on the table, this still comes and goes though. Does this sound familar to you?

Thanks,
Andy

gary
Site Admin

Postby gary » 27 Feb 2011, 23:36

Hi Andy,

I'd still blame the heater elements. The dim LED always suggests a heater element problem. Try gently pulling on the heater wires and see if any come off. If they do, then that element needs replacing.

The tap, probably remakes the heater connection temporarily.

Gary

Return to “GHD MS”